Valentine’s Day is approaching, and I don’t know about you, but my favorite thing to do is simply cuddle up on the couch with some delicious appetizers, and watch a romantic movie with my husband! He’s a great sport about this once a year girly movie marathon.
I’m sharing two of my go-to dishes that are the perfect nibbles to enjoy in your pajamas: Caramelised Onion Dip and Spicy Chili Chicken Drumettes.
The two dishes balance one another – the cool onion dip is the perfect contrast to the spicy chicken.
I am absolutely in love with potato chips, so the onion dip is my idea of heaven. If you want to be a bit healthier, you can always swap out the chips for carrot sticks and celery. This dip also brings back memories of the instant powdered mix that was often served at parties during my childhood – does anybody else remember that stuff?!
If you’re looking for date night movie recommendations, here are a few of our favorites: The Way We Were, Officer and a Gentleman, Love Story, The Notebook, and finally, the hilarious and wacky Princess Bride (my 22 year old son and his 18 year sister have this film on repeat!)
If you enjoy this recipe, share it with a friend! Sign up below to get more recipes and seasonal cooking tips. Find me on Instagram for simple food ideas and scenes from daily life at @Marisacuratolo.
Caramelised Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped, approx. 4 cups
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh dill to garnish
- kettle style potato chips to serve
- In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Add cooked onions and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and dill. Serve with kettle-style potato chips.
Chicken Drumettes with Chili Rub
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken drumettes or wingettes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons Kosher salt
Spicy Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sambal olek or chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- For rub, in large bowl mix together all ingredients; set aside.
- For chili sauce, in small bowl combine all the ingredients; set aside.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry well. Toss chicken in bowl with spices. Place chicken single layer on a baking rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 300°F oven, for 55 to 65 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Pour in chili sauce; toss to coat well. Return chicken to baking sheet and continue to cook 30 to 40 minutes longer. Remove to serving platter. Serves 4-6